Taiji, Japan Blogs

I’m back! Taiji 2012: Day 1

Hi everyone!

I know it is has been a few weeks since I last posted on my site, I was waiting for spring break so I could start some new projects. However! Then something drastic happened, and to make a long story short I am back in Japan (Taiji) for the next 6 days. I am traveling with my dad again, and we are here to help wrap up the second successful Cove Guardian campaign and get some questions answered (information) regarding the Cove Guardians in Taiji and in Japan.

So in my normal blogging fashion… I will tell you all about my trip over here!

I didn’t have much notice, but I did have one WHOLE day’s notice more than the last time I took this trip. My dad was coming back over to close out the campaign and felt like I would be helpful in getting some of our questions answered. While wrapping up my finals at the community college I was packing for six days in Japan. Needless to say, it’s been a long week.

The flight was nice enough. It went by extremely quickly, which was great cause I hate feeling trapped in those little chairs. It wasn’t till we reached immigration that things got interesting.

We stood in line for about 30minutes, it was finally my turn to go up and have my passport scanned and fingerprints taken… I stood at the counter for maybe a minute. Once my passport was scanned a man came out of the side office and hustling towards me. He asked me who I was traveling with and I responded with, “my dad, why is something wrong”? “Just please step this way ma’m, into the office”.

They had me sitting in their waiting area. The couch (chair) things were a neon blue color and the walls plain and white. It looked like I was going to be there a while, and it wasn’t a very cheery place.

A few moments later my dad was being escorted in as well. We were asked to wait there for a few moments while he got a translator. I kicked off my shoes and pulled out my book, I knew we weren’t leaving anytime soon so I made myself comfortable.

The man asked to speak with my father in their “interviewing room” (cough, interrogation room). I sat in the waiting room for about an hour and a half until both my dad and the immigration officer appeared again. We sat there for another hour or so waiting to be either deported or admitted, while being asked follow up questions about our intentions in Japan. I was told that if I had been traveling by myself that I would have to go through the “interview” process as well.

Finally! We were admitted. I wouldn’t have been surprised if we weren’t, but I would be confused. We have never broken Japanese law and never will.

Not much was said after that, we went down to customs and claimed our bags. We got on the bus to our current hotel, where I am writing this blog… and I hope to get some sleep tonight!

We spend tomorrow in Osaka and then we move on from there. I’ll be blogging this entire trip, and I hope you all follow along 🙂

~Click here for the link to the Sea Shepherd posting about today~

~Sponser my Whale Warrior Page, and donate to Sea Shepherd for the Cove Guardian campaign, if you like the work that we do.~ (I still need to update my bio on this page, but it is me!)

As always,

Swim far, fast, deep…

Elora Malama

10 thoughts on “I’m back! Taiji 2012: Day 1”

  1. Always enjoy reading your blog. I hope you have good news to report while you’re there. God bless and I pray you and your dad stay safe.

  2. Hey Girly!!

    You’re such an AMAZING young woman! I’m so proud of you!! Tell Mr. West Hi, and give him a great big hug for me!

    Love you both!!


Comments are closed.